Conditions Treated with Acupuncture
Acupuncture is recognized by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to be effective in the treatment of a wide variety of medical problems. The following are some of the more common conditions treatable by Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, as outlined by the WHO.
- Upper Respiratory Tract: Acute sinusitis, acute rhinitis, common cold, acute tonsillitis
- Respiratory System: Acute bronchitis, bronchial asthma (most effective in children and in patients without complicating diseases)
- Disorders of the Eye: Acute conjunctivitis, central retinitis, myopia (in children), cataract (without complications)
- Disorders of the Mouth: Toothache, post-extraction pain, gingivitis, acute and chronic pharyngitis
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Spasms of esophagus and cardia, hiccough, gastroptosis, acute and chronic gastritis, gastric hyperacidity, chronic duodenal ulcer (pain relief), acute duodenal ulcer (without complications), acute and chronic colitis, acute bacillary dysentery, constipation, diarrhea, paralytic ileus
- Neurological and Musculoskeletal Disorders: Headache and migraine, trigeminal neuralgia, facial palsy (early stage, i.e. within three to six months), pareses following a stroke, peripheral neuropathies, sequelae of poliomyelitis (early stage, i.e., within six months), Meniere’s disease, neurogenic bladder dysfunction, nocturnal enuresis, intercostal neuralgia, cervicobrachial syndrome, “frozen shoulder,” “tennis elbow,” sciatica, low back pain, osteoarthritis
IS ACUPUNCTURE USED TO TREAT ANY OTHER KINDS OF AILMENTS?
The most common ailments presented to acupuncturists in the U.S. are pain-related conditions. However, as the public becomes more educated about acupuncture and Eastern medicine, people are seeking help for a number of other conditions either as a supportive therapy combined with Western medicine or as a stand alone treatment to rectify certain conditions. These include:
- Musculoskeletal and Neurological Disorders: Arthritis, neuralgia, sciatica, back pain, bursitis, tendonitis, stiff neck, Bell’s palsy, carpal tunnel syndrome, trigeminal neuralgia, headaches and migraines, stroke, cerebral palsy, sprains, muscle spasms, shingles
- Gynecological, Reproductive, & Genitourinary Disorders: infertility (men and women), Premenstrual syndrome (PMS), irregular, heavy, or painful menstruation; endometriosis, menopause, PCOS, fibroids, chronic bladder infection, complications in pregnancy, morning sickness, kidney stones, impotence, sexual dysfunction.
- Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat Disorders: Sinusitis, sore throat, hay fever, earache, ringing in the ears, dizziness, poor eyesight
- Circulatory Disorders: High blood pressure, angina pectoris,
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), spastic colon, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, food allergies, ulcers, gastritis, abdominal bloating, hemorrhoids
- Immune Disorders: Candida, chronic fatigue, HIV and AIDS, Epstein Barr virus, allergies, lupus, multiple sclerosis (MS), hepatitis
- Addictions: Smoking, drugs, alcohol, food
- Emotional and Psychological Disorders: Anxiety, insomnia, depression, stress
- Respiratory Disorders: Asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, colds and flu
- Miscellaneous: Chemotherapy/radiation side effects, diabetes, dermatological disorders, weight control.